!Let's Talk! Button

Keeping Your Bird Safe in the Kitchen

May 1, 2014

If your bird takes up residence in or around the kitchen of your home, it’s important you’re aware of several potential health hazards. Use these tips from a Thorold vet to keep your feathered friend safe.


Ventilation is key to keeping your bird safe and sound in the kitchen. If it’s warm enough outdoors, try opening up a window or door to let fresh air in. This will provide adequate airflow around your bird’s cage, removing any dangerous fumes. If it’s chilly out, try using a fan in place of the breeze.

Move Bird While Cooking

If you’re setting up to cook a large meal, you’ll save a lot of hassle and worry by simply moving your bird elsewhere for the time being. Put your bird in a back-up cage in another room, or move the entire cage elsewhere if possible. This way, your bird won’t be exposed to any potential kitchen hazards. Just make sure the cage is sturdy and that your bird can’t escape.


Various human foods in the kitchen may be harmful to birds, so it’s important to restrict your pet’s access to them. For birds, potential toxins include dried beans, tomato leaves, salt, caffeine, mushrooms, onions, avocado, various seeds, chocolate, and alcoholic beverages. Leaving your bird unattended around the kitchen could lead to contact with these substances, which could prove fatal.

Hot Surfaces

Don’t forget that your kitchen is full of hot surfaces that could harm your feathered friend. Make sure your bird gets nowhere near stovetops, ovens, toasters, coffeemakers, pots of boiling water, and anything else hot.

Teflon Caution

Overheating non-stick surfaces, like Teflon, can cause dangerous particles to be released into the air. If a bird breathes these particles in, his delicate lungs may not be able to handle it. Don’t use Teflon or non-stick cookware with your bird around!

Talk to your Thorold veterinarian to find out more helpful kitchen safety tips. Taking precautions and staying aware will help your bird live a long and happy life in your home!